Syllabus (online)

English 101.12W: College Writing (online)

Summer 2018

Instructor: Holly Pappas

Office: A104

Office hours: I’m available most days during the week for face-to-face appointments.  If there’s interest, I’d be glad to try some online office hours as well.

Email: holly.pappas@bristolcc.edu

Phone: (508) 678–2811 X2244 (This is not a good way to reach me, though! Email is preferred.)

Course description (from catalog): College-Composition I provides students an opportunity to develop and reflect on their own process of writing through various stages of planning, composing, revising, and editing. In addition, students learn how to formulate and support a thesis using a number of rhetorical strategies, to engage in the research process and to practice critical reading strategies for the purpose of documenting credible sources to support claims. Students write in accordance with the conventions of written English and incorporate digital tools and technologies. Prerequisite(s): A passing score on the College’s Writing placement test or C or better in ENG 090ENG 091 or ENG 092.  A passing score on the College’s Reading placement test or C or better in ENG 091 or concurrent enrollment in/or prior completion of RDG 090.

Course text: Readings used for the course will be available online.

Course blog: http://writingaboutplace.edublogs.org/

Course outcomes:

1.Write using different stages of the writing process, from prewriting through composing and revising.  Develop individual writing processes unique to the student and writing purpose, and demonstrate the ability to reflect on those writing processes.
2.  Demonstrate the ability to compose using digital tools and technologies.
3.  Apply rhetorical knowledge, including audience awareness, purpose, appropriate conventions of written English, and approaches, related to various writing tasks.
4.  Develop active reading practices with diverse texts to identify rhetorical features, articulate what they have read, and expand their knowledge base.
5.  Engage in a research process to develop, explore, and address meaningful questions.  Locate, evaluate, summarize, integrate, and document credible primary and/or secondary sources for support or inquiry.

Approach: In this theme-based course, we will be thinking and reading and writing about how places shape people and people shape spaces. We will start with a brief consideration of natural places, then move on to units on domestic, commercial, and civic spaces.

In an on-line class, of course, most of our interactions will take place in cyberspace; for this class we will be using blogs for that purpose, the course blog plus individual blogs that each of you will set up the first week of class. Reading and writing assignments will be posted on the course blog; most major assignments will be due by Sunday at midnight, but some weeks there may be mid-week deadlines as well because of the compressed nature of the course. I strongly suggest that you check the weekly assignments early in the week in order to plan out your schedule. During a regular semester, a f2f class meets three hours a week, and the general guidelines are that students can expect to spend another five or six hours outside of class per week; for an on-line class that would translate to eight or nine hours a week, which may be difficult to accomplish in an evening, and we’re working at double time for this class. Regular writing is required in order to improve as a writer, and you may make it more difficult for yourself to get started if you wait until the last minute, leaving six days between writing sessions. I will post some strategies to help chronic procrastinators (I am one myself), but if you find that you are still having problems, please talk to me or go to the Writing Center in B110 for help getting started. I will post Writing Center hours on the course blog as a reminder.

The main written work of the course will be several short essays or blog posts (500 words or so) plus four longer ones (1000–1500 words). You will post rough drafts for those essays as well as more informal writing on an individual blog that you will set up the first week of class. There is a short video on the course blog that walks you through the steps of setting up a blog. Final drafts will be submitted via email for grading.

Grading: Essays will be graded on an A+ to F scale, and informal writing on a 4-point scale (grading guidelines to be provided later). Grading breakdown is as follows:

Four longer essays @15% each                      60%

Short essays, blog posts, peer reviews         20%

Revision reflections                                        10%

Punctuality                                                      10%

(points awarded for turning in rough drafts and peer reviews on time)

Note on revisions: I will see most of your formal work (i.e., the longer essays) at least twice; the first time, for rough drafts, I will give feedback but no grade. “Final” drafts submitted on time (or by an arranged extension deadline) may be revised and resubmitted further if you are not happy with a grade or you would like to work further on a piece. Changes must be substantive (not proofreading-level corrections alone), and resubmitted essays must be accompanied by a memo detailing what changes you have made and why. I especially encourage you to revise the work that appears in your final portfolio.

Policy for late assignments (final drafts): I will grant one extension if you cannot turn the final draft of an essay in on time. In order to receive an extension, you must notify me via email before the essay is due. You do not need to provide an explanation, but you must tell me when you will turn in the essay. Your proposed date must be within a week of the original due date. After that extension has been used, late essays will be penalized one grade (for example, from A- to B+) for each day late. Work submitted on time (or by an arranged extension deadline) may be revised and resubmitted if you are not happy with a grade or you would like to work further on a piece. Changes must be substantive (not proofreading-level corrections alone), and resubmitted essays must be accompanied by a memo detailing what changes you have made and why. I especially encourage you to revise the work that appears in your final portfolio.

Academic integrity policy: Intentional plagiarism (work submitted that is not your own, copied either from a friend or online source) may result in failure of the course. Unintentional plagiarism will be handled on a case-by-case basis (usually I will ask students to revise and resubmit paper). See the Academic Integrity Policy pages on the BCC website for more information; the link will be provided in BCC section of course resources section.

Participation policy:

• Information and assignments will be posted by Sunday at midnight for the coming week.
  • I will check my email daily as well as the course blog for questions and comments, Monday through Friday, and will respond to your email within 24 hours in most cases. I may not access the site on Saturdays, Sundays or holidays.

Students are responsible for withdrawing officially if they stop attending or participating in any or all classes.  Faculty no longer have the ability to withdraw a student from a class. A grade of “F” will be assigned to any student who stops attending a course but does not officially withdraw.  Students are encouraged to meet with an advisor before making any changes to their schedule.  Withdrawals effect Satisfactory Academic Progress and can place the student at risk for academic probation or dismissal.  Students who use financial aid and who subsequently withdraw may be required to return some or all funds received.  Withdrawals for this summer session are accepted until June 28, 2018.  Students may withdraw online in accessBCC, in person at any Enrollment Center, or via their college email to enrollmentservices@bristolcc.edu.  Email requests must come from the student’s BCC college email address and must include the student’s name, BCC student ID number, and course information (CRN, course and section number). Email from non-college accounts will not be accepted.  If a student officially withdraws after the third week of classes, there will be no tuition or college fee refunds.  For more information, see the College Catalog at: http://bristolcc.smartcatalogiq.com/en/2017-2018/Catalog/Academic-Information/Withdrawal-Policy-and-Procedure.  Students with questions should contact Enrollment Services via any of the methods mentioned above or at 774-357-2590.

Disability policy: If you are a student who would normally seek accommodations in a traditional, face to face classroom, please speak to me and the Office of Disability Services as soon as possible.  You may contact the Office of Disability Services to arrange for appropriate accommodations by calling 508-678-2811–Fall River, ext. 2955; Attleboro, ext. 2996; New Bedford, ext. 4011)  or by stopping by L109.  You may also contact the Office of Disability Services online at http://www.bristol.mass.edu/Students/ods/request_forms/ods_contact_us.cfm

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE (see blog for more complete, up-to-date info)

Week 1                        Intro. to course; setting up blogs

(June 4­–10)                 Reading: the writing process and specific details

Writing: Intro post on blog, “The Place Where You Live

Week 2                        Domestic spaces

(June 11–17)              Reading: Sample memoirs;

Info about finding and evaluating sources

Writing:  Essay 1 (House memoir) rough draft due 6/17

Blog post on research

Week 3                        Commercial spaces

(June 18–24)               Reading: “The Science of Shopping”; sample student essays

Writing: Final draft of Essay 1 due 6/24 with reflection;

Rough draft of Essay 2 due 6/24

Week 4                        Commercial spaces (cont.)

(June 25–July 1)         Reading: Info about finding and using sources

Writing:  Final draft of Essay 2 due 7/1 with reflection;

Rough draft of Essay 3 due 7/1

Week 5                        Civic spaces

(July 2–8)                    Reading: Info on argument;

several online articles to be provided

Writing:  Summary practice;

Blog post about community issue with sources;

Final draft of Essay 3 due 7/7 with reflection

Week 6                        Civic spaces (cont.)

(July 9–15)                  Writing:  Final draft of Essay 4 due 7/15